Underwhelming and Disappointing…

Well, yesterday was supposed to be my sonogram/ultrasound, to find out the sex of the baby. 

I have had this scheduled since September 12th.  I even had to fight a bit with the person scheduling in order to get it scheduled.

Here’s how things went:

I was told at my O.B. appointment back in August, to call on September 12th, to get my radiology appointment scheduled.  Mind you, these are two sections of the same hospital, which apparently do not communicate regularly themselves.  When I called Radiology on September 12th, I was curtly told that they didn’t have the schedule opened that far out (October 12th or later, as I was told by my O.B.).

I explained this to the woman I was talking to, and after a minor huff over what I’d been told by O.B., she checked the schedule “again” to see if the schedule had been opened up that far.  It had.  My Irish tuckus it “just happened”, and she was just being lazy and didn’t want to schedule out that far.  Then she decided to argue with me over when I could schedule it.  I explained very clearly that the O.B. had told me that I could schedule it, knowing full well how far along I was) for October 12th or later.  So, why there was such an issue with this according to the woman in Radiology, I have no idea.  I’m pretty sure I told her, offhand, to talk to O.B. for herself to verify.

I also told her that due to scheduling issues with James, I needed to get the appointment put in as early in October as possible, which is another reason the O.B. told us to get it scheduled as early as possible, but no earlier than October 12th.  I continued to have to argue with the woman over when to schedule it, because she was refusing to schedule it any earlier than my 20 week mark.  I knew then, and I know now, that this sonogram/ultrasound can be scheduled 18 weeks or later.  So I was pretty upset at this point, because I didn’t want to risk James not being able to be there to find out the sex of the baby.

I finally managed to get the woman to schedule for a week earlier, my 19 week mark, which happened to be Friday, October 21st.  Yesterday.  Note the 19wk point.  So, James and I went over to the hospital yesterday, and it turns out the woman input my appointment for the 19th.  Wednesday, and they had me marked down as a no-show.  I was livid.  It took me a bit to figure out what likely happened, but it still doesn’t make me feel any better.  Considering what I had to go through just to get her to schedule it a week earlier, she told me a different date from the one she put into the computer.  So I hope she’s happy, I have to wait until next Wednesday to have my appointment.

As nonchalant a I’ve been about most things (or what I’d like to believe how nonchalant I’ve been at least..) I didn’t actively realize just how much I had been building up the anticipation for this appointment.  But, it was finally here, and we were excited.  To have it pulled out from under me like that was far more upsetting than I would have thought, and indeed, it took me a bit to really calm down from it.  I’m still rather mad about it, but at least it’s not making my heart race anymore, and it’s not instantly making me want to cry.  So I guess that’s a step in the right direction, because I just do not need the stress.


Published by


Wife, student, new first time mother. Crafter and creator. Animal enthusiast. I had a miscarriage in March 2011. But we tried again. March, 2012 was the birth of my first child. Off and on I have been dabbling with small business, trying to get it off the ground since, every so often changing direction.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s