First Time Camping – Part 2

So, on the beach we hang.  Zoe napping in her car seat in our car, our friend’s youngest (a couple months younger than Zoe) chills out in his car seat rocking out to some music while we finish setting everything else up and relaxing.  He seems content enough with it, so we let him hang out in there while the rain-spritzes do their thing off and on for a bit.

Eventually the tarp comes down, seeing as it really did end up just causing way too much noise, and was making us nearly have to shout at each other to be heard when we were under it.  Thankfully the sky gave us some respite  for a little while and even gave us some teasing peeks of blue.  Not for long, though.  It was quite fun to watch the kids romping around, especially once Zoe got up from her nap and wanted to romp around a bit herself.

Our friend’s toddler had been up and about for a bit, so he was quite covered in sand at this point, but having a heck of a time as far as we could tell.  He loved it.  I was a little concerned with Zoe since she hasn’t had much experience with playing too much outside unless it was on grass.  She took to it really well.  Mostly at first she just wanted to haul diaper up and down the beach.  Which was fine with me.  She gets stir crazy pretty quick when she can’t be down and running around, inside or out.  She was delighted by the wind, which she has always been for as long as she’s been able to react to it.  It always makes her giggle to have wind in her face, blowing her hair around.

She did rather well on most parts of the beach since it had been raining and the sand was hard packed, but it was a bit rolling at times, and torn up around our little area, but she did really well and didn’t stumble nearly as much as I thought she might.  I think she had a really good time with so much freedom to run around and play with sand toys and with the other kids.  Lots of her and our friend’s toddler yelling at each other like 1 year olds will do, which was quite hilarious to all of us.

Eventually, the worst of the clouds started rolling back in and there was a heavy rain on the horizon making it’s way toward us, so we decided to pack back up, and discussed the evening’s plans.  Considering the weather wasn’t getting any better, the boys suggested that we see if we can find a vacant room on the property, or pack up and head north for a bit and find a room to share somewhere else for the night.

There was a room available here, and we decided on that.  We took the kids inside to get showered and changed, and did some laundry while the boys went down to the camp to get the fixings for dinner.  This time it was pork chops with corn on the cob and roasted potatoes.  So, so good.  We ate some down at the pavilion, cooked some hotdogs for the kids in case they didn’t want the rest of the porkchop, then packed up and headed back to the room.  The kids picked at everything we had left but mostly ate the hotdogs, then we made little cozy spots for them wherever we could in the room.  Then we stayed up as long as our bodies would allow us (which wasn’t long) to watch a movie and enjoy some idle conversation.

It’s good and bad that we managed to get inside for the night, since our tent was blown over and water was leaking into both of them.  The tent next to us was kind enough to use one of the campsite’s cinder blocks to weight our tent down.  It would have been absolutely miserable because there was so much rain and so much wind that water was coming in the venting of all the tents there.  I know that if we’d stayed out there, it just would not have been a good time, the kids would be even more cabin feverish than they already were, and well…trying to socialize between two tents while trying to keep the rain out?  Probably wasn’t going to happen.

The next morning was when the boys found all that out when they went down to break camp.  They managed it rather quickly, too.  We passed on making breakfast there at the campsite for something on the road.  Considering the weather still wasn’t that great and also was not going to clear up as much as we thought it was going to, we ended up just heading back home.  Tried to stop at some place that was supposed to have really good hot dogs…turns out it was a bar.  Thank you, friend o’husband.


Published by


Wife, student, new first time mother. Crafter and creator. Animal enthusiast. I had a miscarriage in March 2011. But we tried again. March, 2012 was the birth of my first child. Off and on I have been dabbling with small business, trying to get it off the ground since, every so often changing direction.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s