Babies and Fireworks – Fourth of July, 2013

I’ll start this off by giving you a very cursory (not that it was much anyway) description of her first 4th of July last year when she was 4 months old.

I honestly would have to ask my husband what we did earlier in the day since my brain is running on about a quarter tank at the moment… but the fireworks of course are particularly late around here since it gets dark SO late in the summer.  You’re lucky if you get to start before 10pm.  But I do remember driving around and going to the nifty little vantage point near our house, which is pretty high up and you can even see the Seattle skyline from there.  The baby was in and out of sleep in her car seat, and we checked out just how many sets of fireworks we could pick out.  I would have to say we saw fireworks in Seattle, Poulsbo, Gig Harbor, Port Orchard, Bremerton and a bunch of privately shot off ones scattered here and there.

This year, we went on a little long weekend out-of-town with some friends.  I’ll get into the entire set of details in another post about the whole weekend.

So, Thursday we all made treks from our little area to Leavenworth, Washington.  This place is awesome, if you ever get a chance to go.  Even in the summer it’s awesome, but possibly far cooler (pun intended) in the winter, for those of you that love snow, the holidays and sleigh rides and such.  (I hope to experience this at some point.)  The area is very popular all year ’round, and the warmer months are great for hikers and rafters and kayakers and such.

The plan was to make our way over the river and through the woods… well, through the mountains at least.  Had to throw a little winter holiday lyric in there.  😀  Eventually the plan was to meet, since the boys had to work the morning, and find a place to go watch the fireworks and picnic and all that good stuff.  We were quite lucky in that our hotel was a couple blocks from a park very close to the origin of the fireworks.  Even though we felt like we were getting there kind of late in the day, we managed to find an awesome parking spot and set up near by.  For most of the evening the kids had a huge area to run around and play in.

We did a little cooking and had some awesome wraps.  Though, it was incredibly windy on that side of the Cascades.  Made things interesting most of the time to be honest.  Not entirely too hard to keep the kids occupied during cooking, with being able to run pretty much rampant for a bit.  Hilarity ensued with the toddlers toddling about in the grass together.

The farther down the sun dipped, the windier it got.  Much of what we had brought was quickly packed up after we were done eating.  Chairs didn’t get put up unless they were being sat in.  (Yes, it was THAT windy.)  Even the stroller locks were put on, in the grass.  It had been extremely warm while we were there, so most of us hadn’t changed into any long-anything.  The random piece of this or that was found in between the two cars, but by and large all of us were cold and shivering (aside from the babies, for whom we had actually packed properly for).

We waited, and waited.  And waited some more for the sun to go down far enough for the fireworks to start.  All the while being bombarded with a rather hilariously bad (well, the first guy wasn’t that bad) group of “rappers”…”representing for the top left”.  Yeah, that’s going to be the running joke for months.  I can see it now.  It certainly was for the entire weekend.  By the time the 15 minute warning came around, we’d already half-heartedly discussed packing it in and heading back to the hotel, figuring we could see the fireworks from there.

We were right.  With very little to actually pack, and two sleeping toddlers…we hauled rear out of there before the rush of cars and managed to get back to the hotel and the babies put down to sleep and the other adults and the chitlins got to watch the fireworks outside in the parking lot.  Zoe was a bit harder to get down once she was changed and in pjs, so I sat with her and rubbed her back until she was fully asleep.  I stuck around for a couple of minutes organizing what I could in the dark and putting my own pjs on before running outside to catch the very last flash of the finale.  Oh well.  🙂  It was fun anyway.

She didn’t seem too perturbed by the fireworks themselves but more because of the rather crazy day with very little napping and the strange surroundings.  Next year I think will be even better.


Published by


Wife, student, new first time mother. Crafter and creator. Animal enthusiast. I had a miscarriage in March 2011. But we tried again. March, 2012 was the birth of my first child. Off and on I have been dabbling with small business, trying to get it off the ground since, every so often changing direction.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s